“a world class bassist.”
jazz bassist | composer
News and Updates
December 14, 2014, 4 PM, my work Songs Of Strength And Hope From The African-American Tradition is performed by the Oakland Symphony Chorus and the Oakland Symphony at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, California. A medley of the traditional songs Motherless Child, Wade In The Water, This Little Light Of Mine and Down By The Riverside. This piece was performed in June of 2015 by the Oakland Symphony Chorus in the Eastern European cities of Prague, Budapest and Vienna, and was well-received.
I have upcoming performances with Larry Vuckovich, Clairdee, Byron Stripling, Jay Thomas Greg Williamson,Dave Peterson,Gary Smulyan,Gary Hobbs,Rod Fleeman, Ted Rosenthal, Chuck Redd, Ken Cook and Alex Aspinall.
See the Performances page for details.
Additionally, saxophonist Jason Gillenwater, guitarist Ricardo Peixoto,drummer Alex Aspinall and I are rehearsing original music by myself, Ricardo and Jason. Watch for us soon !!
Alex Aspinall and I are also doing more videos , some of which will appear on my YouTube channel.
Willis Kirk’s CD East Side Groove is now available on CD Baby !! Original music by drummer-composer Willis Kirk, with Don Ramsey on saxophones and Glen Pearson on piano.
The following recordings are also on CD Baby;
1. Alto and soprano saxophonist Jesse Cloninger’s CD Slider with Ted Rosenthal on piano, Todd Strait on drums and guest Ken Peplowski on tenor saxophone.
2. Drummer Paul Yonemura’s CD Reunion Trios, which includes three trios, one of which is comprised of Paul, pianist Michael Wolff and yours truly on bass.
3. Guitarist Bruce McLeod’s CD Early Work with pianist Ken Cook and drummer Jimmy Hobson. Two more CD’s by Bruce are in the works..
4. Bryan Bowman’s CD Like Minds, with Bryan Bowman (composer-drummer),Ian Carey on trumpet, Bob Kenmotsu on tenor saxophone and Matthew Clark on piano.
The following recordings are awaiting release;
1. Vocalist Clairedee’s web release with Ken Peplowski on tenor saxophone and clarinet, and Chuck Redd on vibraphone and drum (that’s right, singular, drum !!)