“a world class bassist.”
jazz bassist | composer
News and Updates
December 14, 2014, 4 PM, my work Songs Of Strength And Hope From The African-American Tradition is performed by the Oakland Symphony Chorus and the Oakland Symphony at the Paramount Theater in Oakland, California. A medley of the traditional songs Motherless Child, Wade In The Water, This Little Light Of Mine and Down By The Riverside. This piece was performed in June of 2015 by the Oakland Symphony Chorus in the Eastern European cities of Prague, Budapest and Vienna, and was well-received.
March 5th at Mr Tipple’s Recording Studio in San Francisco with the Jason Gillenwater trio. Jason on tenor sax and Alex Aspinall on drums. 7-10 PM.
March 9th at Osteria DiVino in Sausalito with the Ken Cook trio. Ken on piano and Alez Aspinall on drums. 8-11 PM.
March 16th at the Cafe Stritch in San Jose with the Sylvia Cuenca trio, Sylvia on drums and Roni Ben-Hur on guitar. 8:30 pm-midnight.
March 17th at Chez Hanny in San Francisco with the Sylvia Cuenca trio, Sylvia on drums and Roni Ben-Hur on guitar. 4-6 PM.
April 4th at the Panama Hotel in San Rafael with the Kathryn Kanaya trio. Kathryn on vocals and Ken Cook on keyboard. 6:30-9:30 PM.
April 7th at Silo’s in Napa with the Larry Vuckovich sextet. This concert is a memorial tribute to jazz promoter Bruce Hopewell, and features the music of Duke Ellington. Larry Vuckovich on piano, Clairdee on vocals, Noel Jewkes on reeds, Joel Behrman on trumpet and Leon Joyce Jr. on drums. 4-6 PM.
May 3rd in the Sequoia Room of the North Coast Brewery in Ft, Bragg with vibraphonist-drummer Chuck Redd. Holly Hoffman on flute and Mike Wofford on piano.
June 9th at the Wunderman House in Mountain View with the Larry Vuckovich trio. Larry on piano and Charlie McCarthy on reeds. 3-5 PM.
Willis Kirk’s CD East Side Groove is now available on CD Baby !! Original music by drummer-composer Willis Kirk, with Don Ramsey on saxophones and Glen Pearson on piano.
The following recordings are also on CD Baby;
1. Alto and soprano saxophonist Jesse Cloninger’s CD Slider with Ted Rosenthal on piano, Todd Strait on drums and guest Ken Peplowski on tenor saxophone.
2. Drummer Paul Yonemura’s CD Reunion Trios, which includes three trios, one of which is comprised of Paul, pianist Michael Wolff and yours truly on bass.
3. Guitarist Bruce McLeod’s CD Early Work with pianist Ken Cook and drummer Jimmy Hobson. Two more CD’s by Bruce are in the works..
4. Bryan Bowman’s CD Like Minds, with Bryan Bowman (composer-drummer),Ian Carey on trumpet, Bob Kenmotsu on tenor saxophone and Matthew Clark on piano.
The following recordings are awaiting release;
1. Vocalist Clairedee’s web release with Ken Peplowski on tenor saxophone and clarinet, and Chuck Redd on vibraphone and drum (that’s right, singular, drum !!)